- 4 medium chicken breast halves, skinless, boned and cut into 1-inch strips*
- 1 cup (14 ounces) tomatoes, cut up**
- 1 cup low-sodium chili sauce
- 1½ cup (1 large) green pepper, chopped
- 1½ cup celery, chopped
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Nonstick cooking spray, as needed
* For convenience, you can use uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast.
** To cut back on sodium, try low-sodium canned tomatoes.
- Spray deep skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat pan over high heat.
- Cook chicken in hot skillet, stirring, for 3-5 minutes or until no longer pink. Reduce heat.
- Add tomatoes with juice, low sodium chili sauce, green pepper, celery, onion, garlic, basil, parsley, crushed red pepper and salt. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer covered for 10 minutes.
- Serve over hot cooked rice or whole-wheat pasta.
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: 1½ cup
Each serving provides:
- Calories: 274
- Total fat: 5 grams
- Saturated fat: 1 gram
- Cholesterol 73 milligrams
- Sodium: 383 milligrams
- Total fiber: 4 grams
- Protein: 30 grams
- Carbohydrates: 30 grams
- Potassium: 944 milligrams